Friday, February 4, 2011

Positive Thinking

The other day when I visited my family doc , she advised me to stay positive. Since I know her right from the time I was a baby, I opened up to her. It was bad day I guess so I was ranting.

Her statement made me wonder, because she herself is going through a crisis time. Her husband is suffering from lung issues , which has severely affected his mobility and hence hers too. I recalled how active her husband was, both of them were very religious. They used to conduct annual pilgrimage to holy places and my mother used to go with them. The couple always was present at all religious functions, they were engaged in godly service post their retirement.
Apart from that they also volunteered for a lot of charity.

When my doc's husband fell ill, first thing that came to mind is , why them, because as far as I know they were good people in all respects. I had read somewhere that making you suffer is god's way of testing your faith. When my doc made that statement I thought she too is taking this as a test of her faith.

I am not a very religious person, but yes I am very driven by my conscience. Looking back at life I am grateful for things that life has bestowed on me. Yet as the Maslow's need hierarchy theory suggests, one set of needs are fulfilled our aspirations graduate in to the second set.
So the quest continues.

Is it natural to be positive always. Is it not human to slip in to negative zone. I consciously try to be positive, but there are moments when you start slipping. I think most of us are in neutral zone, I mean neither positive nor negative. As we go about in our day to day life most of us remain in the neutral zone till we face a situation wherein we are pushed to the positive or negative zone.
When I was young , I noticed that my dad and mom used to say they expect the worst outcomes out of things, so that what ever is the result, it doesn't jolt them. I think it was their way of expecting something positive, strange but that was their take. In my case, I have seen whatever is my fear comes out to be true, so I cant afford to take their approach, it does not work for me. But at times it is not in my control, I don't know if its my thought process that results in how my destiny shapes up or is it the universal force which kind of warns me in advance what is in store for me and when it happens I am like " I knew this was going to happen".

Your mind can think positively, but your heart is your god. If you listen to it, it will tell you what is coming up. Train your mind to think positive, but never ignore the heart. That has been my experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment