I am not a big movie fan. I pick and choose movies to match based on reviews and first hand information from friends and acquaintances.
One of my favorite movies is the Kung Fu Panda. The dialogue between the Master and Shifu that “ There are no accidents” left an impression on me. The other one from the same movie, which impressed me, is about believing. I think both go hand in hand. You need to “ believe” that “there are no accidents”!
I am not the one who takes things at face value. It is difficult to convince me due to my probing nature. When I first heard the statement “There are no accidents”, it tickled my probing nerves. I went through all those so called accidents in life and went on to introspect how they shaped my life. The accidents turned the course of my life , it took me to a different level. I always wanted to own a home of my own. While most of girls my age was waiting for their prince charming to sweep the, off their foot, I was scouring through news paper ads, and trying to figure out, where and how could I manage to get a roof over my head. I had started working and my pay packet was not that good for me to enable to afford a house.
Then an accident happened. I got a call from a woman who has been entrusted with recruiting for a new start up. They were looking for someone with experience in debt markets. Apparently my reference was provided by an ex colleague. I still wonder till date why he referred me, as we hardly knew each other, it could have been an accident. The offer was a 400% jump from my then existing levels. I lapped up that offer. Needless to say the first thing I did was book an apartment.
The accident turned out to be sour when the start up wound up after 1.5 yrs. Salaries were slashed 50%. Mortgage payment consumed 70 % of my pay and my float money was slowly getting exhausted. Add to that medical emergencies at home, was draining every penny that I had. I told my mother to be ready as I will have to tap in to her resources in case the drought continues. As some one said when a Cheetah chases you, you will make every effort to run ahead of the Cheetah. In six months I was able to find another job, which provided me the much needed, financial stability.
Years later when my parents lost their apartment to a unscrupulous builder , they remarked to me that it was extremely wise on my part for having invested in a house, so that they could move in time of need. Rest of the people who lost their apartments were moving from one rented premise to another every 12 months. The accident that triggered off a chain of actions and reactions today helped us have a roof over our heads.
No comments:
Post a Comment