Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Priceless Lick!

I was off blogging as my pet was diagnosed with lymphoma. Like every other family we were in denial. I tried reasoning out with the vet that it could be something else. It took a while but we have accepted it. Together we are giving it a fight.

Days before he was diagnosed with cancer, Prince stopped urinating. There was huge swelling around his prostate gland which was blocking the urethra and the passage of urine. I recall one night, when he was terribly uncomfortable. The next morning we had to take him to the vet to catheterise him so that the urine could be taken out. That one night was a painful long night.
Every minute he used to get up and run to the bathroom in an attempt to relive himself. Frustrated he would get back but the urge combined with the pain would make him run again. None of us slept, we tried to make him sleep for some time, but failed. The doc prescribed some analgesic which could have helped him sleep but that too did not work.

His BP and heart rate was up, he was panting badly and totally exhausted. I was frustrated too, and helpless. When he went to the bathroom, I sat down at the passage, not knowing what to do. Prince was trying but nothing came out, he gave up and started walking towards his bed, I could see he was in pain. He walked past me, then suddenly turned back and came towards me.
There I was sitting on the floor in utter frustration, totally helpless. He came towards me and licked me. I could not help but hug him. Even when he was in pain, he tried to comfort me. This lick will remain etched in my memory for long. A simple lick taught me a lesson for life!.
Prince is recovering fast..by gods grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment