With the government announcing FDI in
retail, views and counter views on the decision has been floating around. Skeptics
say it will lead to hundreds of job losses, kill domestic retail. Those in
favor of the proposal say farmers will get better pay for their produce; there
would less wastage of food and consumers better price. I am not sure about the facts and figures
behind this. In the past few years FDI in retail was disallowed to help
domestic brands like Food Bazaar, More, Reliance Fresh to mushroom. I think
enough time was given to them to help them strengthen their position.
Having lived abroad I can convincingly say
that the Indian retail outlets are offering a substandard service. The quality
of vegetables sold in outlets of More, Spencer and Food Bazaar is far from
international standards. I often see vegetables and fruits kept without proper
refrigeration. The vegetables are not cleaned. Potatoes and ginger carry mud. Quality
of vegetables is far from being called good. Also I don’t see any price benefit
to the consumer. I prefer buying vegetables from the local vendor, who offers
fresh and better quality vegetables at the same price.
The Indian retail outlets have not
benefitted the consumers, I am not sure if they have benefitted the farmers. I
don’t think they would have. I personally want FDI in retail so that the local
players are made to sit up and improve their service. Most of these global
chains survive on wafer thin margins, and volumes drive growth. They are able
to offer services at cut throat prices through excellent supply chain
management. I am sure these giants will cut out the middlemen from the scene. So the consumers will definitely benefit. Technically
speaking the farmers should also benefit and they will get a direct link to the
consumer. Farming is a lucrative profession in the western world because of
this. The other benefit will be
reduction in food wastages. These giants have deep pockets to invest in cold
storage facilities and have effective transportation logistics in place.
Coming to the negative side, critics say it
will kill the local Kirana stores and also render middlemen jobless. The fear
about Kirana stores is unfounded; they survived all these years and coped well
with the influx of Food Bazaars, More etc. The key to the success of Kirana stores
lies in their personal touch. They are much localized, present in residential
colonies, provide service on call & deliver products at the convenience of
your home. Next is the middlemen, they losing their jobs could be true as the service
is unnecessary fat in the existing supply chain. This fat can be skimmed. Let’s
not forget the jobs that these giants will create in the whole supply chain
management space.
I believe this is a good step
for the benefit of consumers and farmers.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteThis is gonna shock all of you , out of your pants.
It was decided in the Bilderberg club long ago, to gate crash into Indian economy, by a conspiracy.
If you want to know what this elite club is –
Punch into Google search
THE SHREWD CLUB WITHIN THE NAÏVE BILDERBERG CLUB- VADAKAYIL.
And if you want to know how the Bilderberg bankers control the world using their stooges on the PM’s and Presidents chair—
Punch into Google search
THE MURKY TRUTHS OF INFLATION AND GLOBALISATION- VADAKAYIL
The banking cartel had been given a toe hold in India, by giving away FDI in multi-brand retail and FDI in insurance.
Insurance affects transport costs and trade costs -- it requires perception to understand all this.
We are confusing GDP with economic progress. We are destroying destroy entrepreneurial activity and eating our own children. Fitch , S&P and Moody’s are bouncers for the banking cartel. The economics of Rothschild’s Indian alchemist Manmohan and his gunslinger Montek is VULGAR pseudo science.
The Indian intelligentsia must wake up!
DORKS and desh drohis shall lay off !
Capt ajit vadakayil
..