How many of us have argued with our mothers and won an argument. Are there many..because I never do. It is always a battle lost.
The minute I try to correct her, she says I have no right to do so, because she is the mom and I am the child. Are mom's always right. I am not sure if it has to do with the typical Indian order in which respect has to be given which is , Mother , Father, Teacher and then God. She thinks she can never be wrong and I am simply not able to convince that she can be wrong.
She is one who is a personification of Amrytya Sen's book "Argumentative Indians". She would argue, argue and argue. I try to bring in corporate decorum in our conversations, and drag her attention when she wavers (which is often the case) from the topic. But she would convert the conversation to an argument and in no time I lose the corporate decorum as I am made to pull up my sleeve.
The battle is finally won on emotional grounds and I give up. Her standard words are
1) I brought you up and you have no right to teach me things,
2) Don't think now that I am dependent on you, you can say whatever you want (the fact is that she hardly allows me to say anything :-)
3) I would go to some old age home and spend rest of my life there.
I finally give up!
No comments:
Post a Comment