I was stunned to find out that my name already came up in the options so I did not have to type my whole name. This implies some one did google me, not so sure though as I have a very common name. Everything just popped up, I mean, my Facebook profile, Linked In profile, My comments on various websites etc etc. That's when I realized that without my knowledge the cyber world was keeping record of my activities. The very next thing I did was disable the google search options in these networking sites. I was not comfortable living a very public life.
Same with Facebook, I do not post updates on what happens in my life on a daily basis, whereas some of my friends do that regularly. I often log on to Facebook but activities is restricted to updates from friends. Amongst my friends a few are like me, passive on Facebook, I guess they too just log on to see what is happening around. At times I think I am a curious cat, want to know what is going around, but not interested in posting what is happening around me. If people stop posting live updates, I guess I would not possibly log on to Facebook.
While there are people who crave for social recognition, there are others like me who is looking out to what others are doing. There is a good amount of balance between them and hence the show goes on. Over the years I have come across personality types based on the updates that people post on these networking sites. They are:
The Gung Ho types:- Life for these types rock. Nothing seems to be wrong in their life, at least they appear. They post about everything they do, any airport, hotel they check in, any party they attend, conversations are all online!!!!.
The Romantic kinds: These are the ones who are either fallen in love or are newly married. They post pictures of themselves together, every little event is photographed and posted. The standard comments are, "so sweet or so cute", "You guys look good together" etc etc.
The comment hungry kinds: These are the ones I hate. They post everything expecting people to comment. In fact I have been reminded more than once I have not commented on their pictures. Come on guys..get a life. Well I understand that comments are liked by all, but don't force people to comment.
The sympathy seekers: These are the kinds who post touching messages reflecting their own state of life . They are sad, they make you sad. I understand the need to pour out your grief, but I guess pouring our to some one in flesh and blood is always better. Online outpouring of grief just gives you sympathizers who sympathize with you in one line written as a comment. Those really concerned will call you up..and check how many calls you get ..they are the ones who really care.
The activists: These are the kinds who always post their frustrations over political or administrative failures. I think networking sites help release their pent up energy, but wait a minute, is it because of this that nowadays we do not see people's movement and get to see more of online movements. This is a good way of awakening people.
The family centric: They posts are around their wives and kids. Any new thing their kids do finds its way to the sites. All holidays, birthday parties etc etc
The passive kinds: I belong to this category. We are kinds who are observing everyone as life goes on. Once in a while we make our presence felt, by posting a comment or a picture. Every post is after much thought, we think a lot. We form impressions about the kind of life a person lives by their networking personalities, the kinds listed above, should I say any thing more :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment