Tuesday, January 11, 2011

When was the last time you were content with life

A few months back I was driving from Rhode Island to Connecticut , roughly 2 hours drive. I took along a colleague for company. During our conversation she mentioned that she is very content with her life and she is really happy at the way her life is going.
At that point it struck me that I never made such a statement ever in my life. Well it was not just a statement, you actually have to feel it and she did say that from the bottom of her heart.
But still I doubted her and tried to probe to find what made her say that she was content. I thought may be she was referring to her present state, a momentary phase in her life. I was just not ready to accept this statement as it appeared.
If you ask me why, that is because I did not come across any one who said this, every one had some or other issue that was lacking in their life. The issues could be trivial, but it did bother them to the extent that they did not feel that it was the best life. My colleague then went to elaborate, how she had a smooth life till now, whatever she aspired for she got, aspirations were not ivory tower aspirations. They were little little dreams, like good education, a nice husband, a stable job, a decent house. She said she did not aspire anything more.
Once I reached Connecticut, the first thing I told my cousin was my colleagues statement. She immediately dismissed that. She told me that is impossible and even if it was true, that is just a phase and this too shall pass. The grounds for dismissing my colleagues statement was "she has to see life as yet". Yes my colleague was only 25, so in a way she has just started living her life.
Though my cousin dismissed my colleague's statement, I did believe her. I never made a statement at 25 that I was content in life. I was more miserable that what I am today, because I had a laundry list of items that I had to achieve, an apartment, a better job etc etc.

I understood where my cousin's outburst came from. She was a qualified engineer in the US but without a job. Thanks to recession any possibility of her landing a job was next to zero.Her husband is a doctorate holder but stuck with a job that he is not enjoying, but he has no option but to hang on to feed his family.
Net net I realized that feeling content has to do at what stage of life you are in and how successful you are in achieving your dreams, the dreams need not be lofty..it is the sense of achievement and how easily you achieve it.
I decided to believe that my colleague actually meant what she said. Had I been in her position, I would have said the same, because the factors that made her content were the same factors that made me discontent when I was her age. So when was the last time you felt content in life ?

No comments:

Post a Comment